Sunday, January 4, 2009

Worrying Is For Sissies


Have you ever seen a cat worry? It's just not in their nature. They never lose sleep (God forbid!) over things such as the economy ("Mommy, what's a recession?"), who will publish their next book, or where their human will get the money to keep them in sweet creme sardine parfaits and designer kitty litter.

Cats are more trusting. Take my cat, Sinead, here. She doesn't need to know what's going to happen tomorrow, or next week, or even ten minutes from now. She doesn't waste time planning and figuring, "Well, if this happens, I'll do this, or if that happens, I'll do that." Sinead, and for that matter, all cats could teach us a lesson: We should be more trusting, too, which segues me into this poem by M.Louise Haskins my friend sent me. I read it often, especially when I'm afraid and want to time-travel into the future for assurance, instead of living in the here and now.

"I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.' And he replied, 'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than the light and safer than a known way." So I went forth and finding the hand of God, trod gladly into the light."

No comments:

Post a Comment