Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Amazing Sisterhood of the Traveling Toys


There's a secret coven that prowls my house each night. This stealthy bunch makes off with countless toys, stuffed animals, catnip pillows, and on occasion, smelly socks, moving them great distances with no visible means of transportation. Though I've a sneaking suspicion there may be at least one male member, for wont of a better name, I call them the Sisterhood of the Amazing Traveling Toys.

Here's what I've been able to piece together. Every evening, on or near the stroke of twelve, and it could be later, Sisterhood members meet in my sunroom. There, under cover of darkness, members rummage through a very neat basket of toys as well as a pile of specifically-arranged stuffed animals, and commandeer one, two, and as many as four of the unsuspecting items, which they somehow levitate to certain prearranged spots in the kitchen, hall, up the stairs, and in front of the bedrooms.

When the toys/stuffed animals are in position, each Sisterhood member lets go a plaintiff cry, in combination with a magic chant that sounds something like, "Zowiee, Meowiee," and the items drop. Sisterhood members then perform a cleaning ritual that would make a contortionist proud, after which they shake their heads violently, and disappear into the night.

It was extremely dark when I made my discoveries, so I can't be certain who the culprits are. All I know is they had very long tails and their eyes seemed to glow in the dark. My husband thinks I'm watching too many murder mysteries. He says it's just the cats, trying to ingratiate themselves with us by sharing their toys.

What do you think? Let me know if you have a Sisterhood/Brotherhood in your home.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ms. Kitty Literate,

    I have had similar experiences. Some nights a number of small fake mice toys are left in a pattern in the hall just outside our bedroom. Do you think they trying to communicate by spelling something out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are trying to say "Mommy, I love you."

    ReplyDelete