Wednesday, March 4, 2009

WE HATE DAY LIGHT SAVING TIME


"Uh-oh, Mommy," moans Angela. "Is it that time again?"

"Yes, sweetie" I answer. "And there's nothing Mommy can do about it. The dreaded DST is upon us, and we'll just have to live with it."

Daylight Saving Time (DST...and yes, it's written just that way... no "s" on Saving) starts this Sunday, and if your cats are like mine, there will be hissing and spitting. They hate Daylight Saving Time (DST). And I must say I totally agree. It’s discombobulating to both man and and beast.

Every year, as a result of this annual right of spring, we have to totally change our sleeping, eating, and napping schedules, [plus every imaginable electronic gizmo that, like me, doesn’t reprogram itself], only to have to change them all back again six months later. No wonder their whiskers (and mine) are out of whack.

Now, okay, okay. I know we do it for the children. But, surely, kids who play Mortal Combat and watch Freddy Krueger movies can’t be all that afraid of the dark. And, as for keeping them safe, maybe designers could come up with some, like really "kewl" glow-in- the-dark type school clothes with matching cool miner-like halogen helmets.

Point is, this constant yo-yoing isn't doing any of us--those with four legs or two--any good. We get disoriented. We get grumpy. We're awake when we shouldn't be and can't sleep when we should. We're a wreck until our bodies adjust then it's time to go back and we're a wreck again.

Still, there is one ray of hope. In Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the American Somoas, they don’t have DST at all. So maybe I'll take a loss on my house, pack up the husband and cats, and go.

Nah, I can't afford it. So, like my cats, I'll just do the next best thing: Go in a closet, curl up on something soft, put my paw over my eyes, and take a long catnap.

What about you? Love DST or hate it?

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Write the novel! Hope Des got a photograph of you rolling down the hill...

    ReplyDelete