Saturday, January 2, 2010

Are You More Creative in a Tidy or Not So Tidy Office?



In a recent blog, a friend of mine  dis-played a photo of her workspace.  There were papers and cats everywhere. I loved it.  It was a busy room, full of creativity.  And I could sense a whole lot of wonderful things had and would come to life there.

(Other than the amount of cats and the large area), it reminded me of my office. Or at least the left-hand side of my office. See, I made a resolution two weeks ago to start the New Year with everything in its place. Needless to say, I missed the deadline. 

It is now day two of 2010, and I sit in a room which is, on the right side, neat as a pin, but on the left side, heaped with papers and files, stuck-on-the-desk affirmations, a cat, candles, and various and sundry things which I haven't found a home for yet.

I've been tidying things up for about four hours now, so I thought I'd take a break.

I look from side to side and I wonder.

Admittedly, the right side looks awesome. It exudes calmness, order, and discipline. Still, the left side makes me feel more comfortable, envigorated, confident. I feel more productive knowing that everything I'm working on, or thinking of working on, or should be working on, or will be working on in a month is closeby, at hand, (at least on the left side), scattered about in the mounds on the desk or in one of the many piles I have on the floor so I won't forget anything.

As I sit here, doubts torment me. What if I put everything in its place, then I can't find the place it's in? What if I throw away something and it turns out in a month, that's just the thing I need?  What if I sit down tomorrow and can't write because my creativity craves more clutter?

Hmmm. 'Tis a quandry all right. So I may just leave everything the way it is for now. After all, it took me a whole year and two days to get to this point. I don't want to rush things.


1 comment:

  1. You can't move MacDuff!! Why don't you try the split-personality-office for the month of January and let us know what it does to your brain.

    ReplyDelete